Fedora Desktop on XO

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 19:30:26 EST 2009

> Now, the question I have is why we would chose GNOME over XFCE.  I think
> there are significant differences in system resource consumption.

I don't believe the decision has been made yet.

> I ask because the impression I had from informal tests was that a system
> booting into GNOME was consuming about 3x as much RAM on boot (read via
> ps_mem.py).  My impression was that the benefit was not eaten up the
> moment the I started running GTK applications; it seemed that under XFCE
> I could open a fair number more Firefox tabs without running into lockup
> than under GNOME.  I know these aren't great metrics so I'll run some
> more rigorous tests after we have two systems side-by-side for
> comparison.
>
> Even though XFCE is not a Fedora-supported desktop environment, it is
> readily supported in other distributions.  We could easily borrow the
> polish that XUbuntu has applied to its distribution and get a system
> equally usable as GNOME.

I don't believe that is true at all. I believe XFCE is an install
option during a full install and there's a fully Fedora blessed XFCE
spin available from Fedora here http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ . It
is certainly not the main desktop they support but it is no less
supported than any other desktop. I think the XFCE SIG (Special
Interest Group would somewhat disagree
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Xfce

Peter