Emulating 8.2-767

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Mon Jan 5 20:54:18 EST 2009

The excellent folk who are doing the Ubuntu work often post to this list,
and can speak for themselves, but here is what Morgan Collett replied when I
asked:

... many "core" activities don't work. Read and
> Write both depend on things we couldn't get packaged in Ubuntu in the
> right time frame - we hope to solve that for Jaunty. Browse has been
> affected by a dependency on hulahop when gets broken with every
> Firefox update - we're working on getting that fixed, but the process
> has been rather frustrating the first time around. As our team gets
> more experienced and (hopefully) more upload rights for Ubuntu
> packaging, we should be able to fix things faster.

So my conclusion, despite the fact that some of these issues are addressed
in test packages suitable for knowledgeable folk, is that ordinary
non-developers (and that includes people providing environments for others
that must work as flawlessly as possible) should wait for Jaunty.

--
"Don't think for a minute that power concedes. We have to work like our
future depends on it."  -- Barack Obama