[Testing] Please help test our pre-release build of 8.2.1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jan 4 16:21:24 EST 2009

On 4 Jan 2009, at 20:28, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 04.01.2009, at 20:26, Gary C Martin wrote:
>
>> build 8.2.1-7     Could start
>> . = success       | Could stop (all must work ctrl-q, alt-esc,
>> toolbar, frame)
>> - = N/A           | | Sound
>> x = fail          | | | Journal entry
>> ? = unknown       | | | | Useful journal resume state
>> * = see note      | | | | | Frame palette title matches resumed title
>>                  | | | | | | License entry in activity.info
>>                  | | | | | | | Using bundle_id in activity.info
>>                  | | | | | | | | Frame picks-up live title changes
>>                  | | | | | | | | |
>>         Etoys-94 . * . * . x . x x Ctrl-q fails to stop.
>>                                    Stop no longer auto-keeps to
>>                                    journal - you
>>                                    need to manually keep a project
>>                                    first, or
>>                                    you loose changes made and see no
>>                                    entry.
>
> This is no different than in 8.2.0 - assuming you just launched and
> immediately exited Etoys we do no longer create a useless Journal
> entry. Only if you make a new project (or rename the default one) is
> it saved automatically on exit.

The previous auto keep when you made zero changes was both annoyingly
slow and daft, but to not auto keep especially after making edits
breaks the whole Sugar Journal concept in one fell swoop (and even
with no changes, I'd expect a Journal entry that just resumes to the
default start page but with no whole 'saving project' cycle needed).

First thing I imagine most kids would do with Etoys (well I do at
least) is make the 'welcome' screen car hoot as it hits the screen
edges, and then make it also hoot as it bounces off other graphic
objects. Happy in discovering all the rather obscure/hidden menus and
palettes to do this, I'd then stop to see all my effort vanish,
unrecorded for posterity.

I almost reported this as a critical bug. It took me a good hour of
various reboots, reinstalls, and journal wipes before I realised the
behaviour had fundamentally changed and I had to keep before EToys
would bother making any Journal entry (even discovered all the hidden
toolbutton menus for Publishing and exiting without saving et al,
before realising I had to prime saving by hitting keep).

Sorry for the negative report, I just think a well behaving EToys is
really important, FWIW, I may just be an edge case kid at heart.

--Gary