Why not use swfdec-mozilla?

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sun Jan 4 03:20:32 EST 2009

> The main problem [with gnash on OLPC] I've had so far is getting the
> Gstreamer Ugly plugins set (non-FOSS plugins, including the MP3
> decoder) installed properly on XO 8.2.0 via Yum because the
> Gstreamer in 8.2.0's repository is some kind of mishmash from the
> older Fedora 8 version, not the one from Fedora 9 which XO OS 8.2.0
> is based on.
>
> Because of this, installing Gstreamer plugins ugly via yum causes a
> lot of complaints and it doesn't really get installed and updated
> properly. (I do believe the build team didn't upgrade gstreamer
> repository in 8.2.0 to the latest packages because the latest version
> had problems with the XO's camera)

This doesn't look like a gnash problem -- more like a problem with
the 8.2.0 repos.  Let me guess -- OLPC's repo doesn't ship or support the
ugly plugins, due to patent issues, and users can't usefully piggyback
on the Fedorarepo's  ugly plugins because OLPC used a back-rev gstreamer?

Will this issue be fixed for 8.2.1's repos?  For 9.1?  Bug #8982 is
related to this problem; #8504 seems to be this ticket.

        John