Why not use swfdec-mozilla? (was Re: Installing Flash on the OLPC)

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 07:55:29 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Quick clarification.  We discussed making swfdec installed by default
> during the development of Fedora 9, but decided against doing so since
> we felt it wasn't quite ready for that.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I don't run Fedora so I wouldn't know :)

> I'm not sure if it was considered, but as the maintainer of swfdec in
> Fedora I can state that swfdec is very cpu-intensive, and I have my
> doubts whether the performance on the XO would be comparable to gnash's,
> though it might be worth investigating.

That has been my experience too, but I always thought that the
CPU-intensive stuff was only for complex Flash-9 things, and because
my ATI open source drivers sucked ;p

I guess I should compare gnash/swfdec/adobe flash performance-wise too.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan