Fedora Desktop on XO

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 04:43:36 EST 2009

Hi Chris,

>   > I would remove the old fc9 build from the olpc_development repo (or
>   > even have one for 8.2.0 and one for 9.1.0 so they don't get mixed
>   > up).  Surely it should be pulling cyrus-sasl from the Fedora repos
>   > anyway?
>
> I've just pushed a patch to pilgrim's joyride branch to switch the
> baseurl that gets written out in /etc/yum.repos.d/olpc-development.repo
> from http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/repos/dist-olpc3-devel/ to
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/static-repos/dist-olpc4-build-current/i386/
>
> (olpc3 is our 8.2/F9 repo, and olpc4 is the 9.1/F10 repo, so Joyride
> should have been switched to write out the olpc4 baseurl when we
> created the new repo.)
>
> And, after the change, we don't have depsolving problems any more!
> Here's the list of packages to be downloaded -- the next question is
> going to be how to avoid many of these dependencies.  Perhaps instead
> of trying the groupinstall, we should be hand-picking a smaller base
> of GNOME packages from this list?

Well its the list up to the "Installing for dependencies" that is
explicitly requested, all the below is pulled in for deps. I'm not
sure how pilgrim builds the list but I think if it uses kickstart like
the other fedora build systems do you should be able to do a specific
"-packagename" and its removed from the list.

A quick look through the list..... if you remove tomboy you should
loose all the mono deps, bluez-gnome and gnome-bluetooth should drop
out all the  bluetooth related stuff, nautilus-cd-burner and
nautilus-sendto should drop various other non required deps (various
CD burning stuff and pidgin etc), compiz* won't be required as I doubt
the graphics adapter does cool whirly effects,

That should be a start to reduce the dep list quite significantly.
>From there if there's extra deps we need to drop from specific
packages as its for a gnome desktop it would be best to file a bug and
link it against the tracker bug for OLPC packages in fedora for easy
tracking rather than forking.

Cheers,
Peter