XO memory size

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 26 04:18:46 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:19, Derek Zhou <agonyzhou at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 11:52:11 pm James Cameron wrote:
>> debxo 0.5 KDE variant booted from USB, installed rxvt, started "rxvt -fn
>> 12x24", maximised, took a sample log (dmesg) which was 523 lines,
>> appended it many times to generate a file 7322 lines long, then used:
>>
>>       time cat file
>>
>> Results were 3.569s, 3.569s, 3.569s.  Very predictable, so I tried with
>>
>>       time cat file file
>>
>> Results were 7.147s, 7.151s, 7.183s.
>>
>> I'm certainly not seeing 15 seconds or 45 seconds.
>>
>> Do you have any rxvt customisations?
>>
> Not much, just a different font and reverse video. I used straight rxvt -fn 12x24 just like you have, only to find it is slightly slower, now about 16 seconds. I think the problem is not in rxvt but in xserver. My olpc is debxo 0.4 installed in internal flash. Is there a xserver dpkg from debxo 0.5 file I can grab to try out?

As a wild guess, may be related to jfffs2? It may be garbage
collecting at that time or some other stuff.

I have seen that measuring performance on the XO is quite daunting and
time consuming because the state of the nand flash can radically
affect observations. Also making less useful user reports of slowness
because you can never be sure if jfffs2 house-keeping or
autocompression was stealing precious cpu cycles to the user.

Regards,

Tomeu