XO memory size

Derek Zhou agonyzhou at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 02:19:54 EST 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 02:11:08 am quozl at laptop.org wrote:
> I tried placing just the Option line you specified in an empty
> xorg.conf, but X would not start, complaining of syntax error in the
> file.
You have to make valid xorg.conf file and add it to the Device section. The easiest way to get a valid xorg.conf is:
Xorg -configure

> Then I copied an xorg.conf from rsync://updates.laptop.org/build-ubuntu, and
> looked through it.
>
> Then I installed the Debian x11-apps package, and did some performance
> timings, using "time x11perf -time 1 -repeat 1 -all", with different
> configurations, to try to reproduce your observation;
>
> 1.  debxo 0.4 standard gnome configuration, without xorg.conf file, the
> test took 29m 43s,
>
> 2.  debxo 0.4 standard gnome configuration, with xorg.conf file as is
> from build-ubuntu, the test took 29m 45s,
>
> 3.  debxo 0.4 standard gnome configuration, with the above xorg.conf
> file, with your Option line added to the Driver section, the test took
> 29m 47s.
x11perf takes a lot of time, can you suggest a shorter benchmark? What I did is just cating a 7000 lines (400K bytes) log file in a rxvt window (Maximized to full screen with a 12x24 xfont). Without restraining the FBSize, it take 45 seconds. With the 8M limit, it takes 15 seconds. If I ssh into the olpc from my other laptop and cat the same file from a rxvt window, it only takes ~2 seconds. For this test all rxvt does is drawing some xfont and scrolling, and 7000 lines is not whole lot. 45 seconds is ridiculously slow; even 15 seconds is kind of slow. I don't have another slow computer to compare but it surely feel like the slowest terminal I've ever seen (for about 10 years).

By the way, are you seeing 221M total memory too?

Some more information:
I am using the stock xserver package from debxo 0.4:

xserver-xorg 1:7.3+18
xserver-xorg-video-geode 2.11.0-0.1

here is my xorg.conf: (from Xorg -configure with only minor modification)
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/etc/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
        FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "GLcore"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

ection "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
	### [arg]: arg optional
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "geode"
	### Option      "FBSize" "8388608"
        ### Option      "NoCompression" "true"
	VendorName  "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]"
        BoardName   "Geode LX Video"
	BusID       "PCI:0:1:1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"