OS/X11 support for XO-1 hardware?

quozl at laptop.org quozl at laptop.org
Thu Feb 26 02:13:12 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:47:07PM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:
> Is there anything I can do on my XO running terminal so that when I ssh to
> another system and run a text based X program the fonts will come out useable
> without a magnifying glass?

Not that I know of.  The X server dimensions and resolution are properly
conveyed through the X connection (test: ssh -X user at host xdpyinfo), so
font selection by toolkits such as GTK+ and KDE appears to work fine
from a debxo 0.5 system ... konqueror and galeon used comfortably large
fonts in my tests just now, to a Debian Lenny host.  xterm without flags
yields bitmap fonts that are very tiny, as they should be.  xterm -fa
"DejaVu LGC Sans Mono" yields a 52 by 17 character cell area.

> Is there anything like an environment variable that says scale all
> fonts by N?

No.  The best I know of is to lie about the dimensions and resolution,
on the X server as a whole.

If the target system is in your control, ensure you have set toolkit
font sizes after verifying the dimensions and resolution reported by
xdpyinfo.  An error there can cause this symptom, because the toolkits
are adopting your erroneous choices.