[Sugar-devel] Future of Rainbow + Sugar?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:33:30 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> In my view, it's up to the SugarLabs folks to use Rainbow or to drop it. I have
> tried to clear the way for them to use it on all the platforms they care about
> by simplifying it, by making it more generically useful, by writing some basic
> .deb and .rpm packaging in order to ease testing,

Hi Michael,

what rainbow provides is very important. The trusted-OS checks from
the firmware up are important. The userland application privilege
isolation is hugely important, as we are pushing for making our apps
heavily network oriented, the risks of other network hosts trying to
take advantage of vulnerable apps is huge.

You are now talking about the implementation of rainbow that provides
userland privilege isolation. One thing that I wonder is whether in
the push to make our OS more generic it would make sense to push
rainbow in the direction of things like smack or selinux. Maybe
rainbow could insta-isolate creating selinux profiles for activities?

Maybe my ignorance on matters selinux is showing? ;-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions