[Sugar-devel] Future of Rainbow + Sugar?

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:34:58 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM, <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:

> bert wrote:
>  > On 24.02.2009, at 19:09, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:
>  > > Asking for better documentation doesn't imply that the facility is
>  > > new.  It recognizes that development has reached a local minimum in
>  > > an important component that is not well understood by many.  My post
>  > > was a request to the most knowledgeable person, Michael to do the
>  > > service of taking the time to write a document that clearly lays out
>  > >
>  > > .  the purpose (not in security speak but in terms of the benefits
>  > > it brings to end users),
>
> for my part, i've always felt that it's this first point of
> carol's that's been missing from the docs.  the functional
> overview is very important:  as a developer, you're asking me to
> implement a bunch of new API functionality simply to make a
> simple program (which may already be working well in most other unix
> environments) functional.  i'd like to be sold on the concept
> first, before having to do a bunch of work for no (apparent) benefit
> to me or my program.

I'm going to bow out of this thread (back to work!) but I wanted to bring up
one last point regarding Rainbow's cost to Sugar.

It is my sincere hope that sometime in the future Sugar will gain the
ability to seamlessly launch normal X applications alongside activities.
 There are a great many educational Linux applications out there that would
fill in gaps in our activity lineup.

I fear that Rainbow will be an obstacle to achieving this goal, as we don't
have the ability to fix every application in existence to conform to our
non-standard security model, and emulation hacks will never just work.

Best,
Wade