[Sugar-devel] Future of Rainbow + Sugar?

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Tue Feb 24 13:09:26 EST 2009

Bert,  Are you satisfied with the number of activity developers?  Are you
satisfied with the number of developers within the deployments?  Have you
noticed the periodic questions on the developer-oriented lists about Rainbow
security and whether it is causing mysterious symptoms?  I'm not, and I
have.

Asking for better documentation doesn't imply that the facility is new.  It
recognizes that development has reached a local minimum in an important
component that is not well understood by many.  My post was a request to the
most knowledgeable person, Michael to do the service of taking the time to
write a document that clearly lays out

.  the purpose (not in security speak but in terms of the benefits it brings
to end users),

.  the relevance of APIs versus packaging elements versus choices by the
sugar shell/infrastructure developers,

.  things that the activity developers can and can't do (given that I, at
least, hope that new developers will participate, who have preconceptions
from other environments),

Things that are hoped for in future development (well delimited from things
that are there now.)

Good documentation is hard, and wiki pages are only good documentation if
the wiki is maintained with great discipline (which I fear is not the case
at w.l.o).  But for a subtle and complex feature such as Rainbow, good
documentation would be a motivator for use both within and outside the sugar
community.