getting the truth about future releases onto wiki.laptop.org

S Page info at skierpage.com
Mon Feb 23 20:03:43 EST 2009

9.1.0 is cancelled, joyride does not incorporate latest Sucrose, O.S.
development is taking place elsewhere.  Such adjustments have made big
chunks of wiki.laptop.org deceptive.  AFAIK, no one has put this change
in direction on the wiki (?!), so I jumped in.

* I started with http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Future_releases , adding a
new section
   == Next-generation releases will not come from OLPC ==
based around NN's Q&A statement.  I added a subsection pointing to the
most promising replacements (~cjb/rawhide and SugarLabs' SoaS XO
images), with a "not ready" caveat.

IMO, the Future_releases page should continue to be the definitive
statement about future releases (duh).  The wiki has thousands of
half-hearted ill-maintained pages, it doesn't need more.

I have adjusted some misleading pages, always linking back to [[Future
releases]] so as to avoid populating lots of pages with info that's
subject to change.

* In the "Devel" line of the "Latest Releases" green box I put a "Read
note!" link.

* In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Joyride I added a section
   === Joyride is not producing usable releases ===

* I marked http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0 as obsolete, saying
   A specific 9.1.0 release from OLPC is not going to happen,
linking to Ed McNierney's public statement in
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-February/023079.html
(I did the same in the 9.1.0 section of Future releases.)

* In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images#Development_builds I indicated
the change in approach and de-emphasized joyride.

== TO DO ==

* Find and adjust many other misleading pages.

* I'm not sure what to do with the big swath of 9.1.0 Future
features/roadmap pages and subpages.

* Can someone with rights please update http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap to
add a prominent link to [[Future releases]] and kill off the dead
milestones.

* Is the Joyride stream obsolete rather than "temporarily not working as
designed"?

* If there are specific XO features that are going away in this new
world (e.g. Rainbow,  Bitfrost, olpc-update, the Software update Sugar
control panel, "press O to revert to previous image", ?), they should be
listed in a new "Not applicable" section of
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Enabling_XO_features_on_other_distributions
and their wiki pages somehow flagged with a {{does not apply in new
world}} template.

* Is this janitorial work in the ruins a waste of time better served by
wholesale page deletions?

Thanks for all you do, and I look forward to the next-generation Linux
distributions with Sugar running on my XO.

--
=S Page