RFC: Supporting olpc-ish Deployments - Draft 1

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:48:58 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> 6. Questions:
>  * Does this analysis hold water?

Seems to make sense, and looks like the strategies are quite rational.

>    * Is there anything we could spend our time on which would yield a
> greater return on investment?

I think you (plural you) are doing a good job overall, but I'm on the
sidelines. The only thing I'd suggest is to avoid building too many
"deployment specific" channels (irc, lists, etc). If the relevant
discussions happen on the -dev channels, autistic devs like me are
then forced to listen to the chatter of the most important members of
the community. And that's a good thing.

(ie: I'd prefer to see more traffic on server-devel -- and I'd
actually rename it to 'server'.)

>  * Are there any fixable roadblocks which prevent group ____ from
>    participating?
>
>        (e.g., pervasive use of IRC for meetings?)

I'm not an irc junkie but I am hoping people know to _also_ ask on the
list if they think I can help. On irc you get the answers of the
people that are there, which may or may not intersect with the people
who know about your question...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions