Opportunity for speedup

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:56:59 EST 2009

RLE (run length encoding) compresses sequences of identical pixels ("runs")
as value/count pairs.
So abbbbbbbbbbccc would be stored as 1a 10b 3c.

The decompressor looks like:

while (cur < end)
{
   unsigned short count = *cur++;
   unsigned short value = *cur++;
   while (count--)
      *dest++ = value;
}

This can be faster than memcpy because you are reading significantly less
memory than you would with memcpy, thus fewer cache misses are incurred.

Because the startup images are mostly spans solid colors, this kind of
compression works very well.  If that were not the case, say if there were a
left-to-right gradient in the background, RLE would probably make things
worse, thus you have to be careful when choosing it.

But the smaller size on disk and in memory would probably improve
performance in other ways as well.

Best,
Wade