Wireless test results

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Feb 16 01:37:42 EST 2009

On 16 Feb 2009, at 05:32, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Last I checked, it was either the firmware or the kernel changes
>> that did it.  I posted my findings to the mailing list in the past
>> two weeks.
>
> I think your findings actually say "it was either the firmware,
> kernel,
> or something else altogether".  It'd be good to downgrade both at
> once,
> but still on candidate-800, so that we can check that at least *one*
> of
> the two is the problem.

I should be asleep, but instead have been zigzagging through old http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/xo-1/streams/staging/
  staging builds testing WPA and the dialogue cancel dance for the
last 4hrs:

790 working
4 working
5 working
6 working <-----
7 intermittent
11 intermittent
15 broken
800 broken

Intermittent means it can occasionally associate with a WPA access
point with no cancel dance, but usually I had to dance. Broken means I
had to dance every time.

One thing I noticed when testing the working 4, 5 and 6 that may help,
is that if you do naughtily click an already connected WPA access
point you'll get back to one round of the WPA cancel dance. If you
make sure you first  select 'disconnect' then click the AP again, you
get correctly re-associated, no dance required. This suggests that
clicking a connected AP should either do NOP, or should at least
disconnect properly before trying to connect again.

The sound you just heard was my head hitting the pillow :-)
--Gary