Guidance sought on collaboration techniques

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Feb 11 16:55:51 EST 2009

Benjamin,

I had been using two machines to develop my Activities.  One ran Xubuntu
and used the sugar packages provided with the Sugar Live CD that someone
made up.  These were not perfect, but it was a simpler way to set up a
Sugar test environment than anything else available at the time.  My
second box was running openSUSE 10.2 and I attempted to install
Sugar-jhbuild on it with middling success.  I had both pointing to the
Collabora server to test sharing, and what I found was the sharing
through that server worked OK for small files (like Read Etexts used)
but took forever for slideshows, and frequently ran out of gas in the
middle of a transfer.  As for collaboration between two instances of
Sugar with no jabber server between them, that never worked at all, even
a little bit.

As of last night both machines have Fedora 10 with the Sugar RPMs
installed, so this should eliminate lots of problems I had in the past.
I don't expect it to make large file transfers through the jabber server
any faster, though.  Plus, in my opinion copying a file from one XO to
another would be better done as a function of the Journal.  It isn't my
idea of what real collaboration should be.  The VNC idea, while
worthwhile, doesn't excite me either.

As an XO user I have no use for collaboration.  I have nobody to play
with.  I could strip the collaboration code out of both my Activities
and have something more than adequate for my own use.  My goal is to
create Activities that will get other kids excited about using them.  My
idea is a modest step in that direction.  If I get that much working
other ideas may come.

I would like to stick with API's that are currently available for a
couple of reasons:

1).  I want to use the Sugar environment in Fedora 10.  Now that I
finally have a robust test environment I don't want to lose it.
2).  I want to make the Activity available to the largest number of
users possible.

I think telepathy might do the job for me if I just understood it
better.  All I'm asking it to do is send some messages to a list of
buddies and have them initiate some file transfers.  Chat is already
doing the first part, I think, and the Read code might be persuaded to
do the second.

Thanks,

James Simmons