Guidance sought on collaboration techniques

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Feb 11 15:49:42 EST 2009

When I wrote collaboration into the View Slides activity I just copied
the code from the base Read activity so I could copy an entire slideshow
from one machine to another.  That didn't work all that well, so now I'm
considering something that I think is both more practical and a better
use of collaboration.  The idea is to have buddies that join a slideshow
passively view a show being navigated by the master user, sort of like
looking over someone's shoulder when he reads.

What I have in mind is this:

1). The View Slides user (who I will call the master user) offers to
share his slideshow.
2).  One or more buddies choose to join the slideshow.
3).  At the time of joining the buddies are given a version of View
Slides which has several things disabled.  For instance, they cannot
share the slideshow themselves, and they cannot navigate through the
slideshow either.  They will only see the current image being viewed by
the master user, plus they will know what the current page number is and
how many total pages there are in the show.
4).  When the master user changes pages, he will send a message to all
the buddies telling them the new page number, etc. and that will cause
them to request a download of the current image from the master user.
When this image is fully downloaded their program will display it and
update the page number shown in the toolbar.  The buddies always get the
image from the master user, never from each other.
5).  When a buddy resumes a shared session from his Journal he will
rejoin the shared show in progress if it is still being shared.  If it
isn't he will see the last image he viewed, and the toolbar will show
the total page count and the page number of that image.

It occurred to me that the Chat activity must be doing something kind of
like this, but I haven't been able to figure out the code in that
Activity.  It looks like pieces are missing and are perhaps inherited
from the base Activity class.

I'm hoping someone here can guide me to some tutorial, code samples, and
the like to help me figure out how to write the collaboration code for
my Activity.  I've been looking for tutorials on Telepathy on the
internet and haven't found anything that looks like what I need.

Thanks,

James Simmons