Opportunity for speedup

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed Feb 11 02:01:25 EST 2009

I just measured the time taken by the boot animation by the simple
technique of renaming /usr/bin/rhgb-client so the initscripts can't find it.

With boot animation, OS build 7 (an older 8.2.1 candidate) takes 60
seconds from first dot (indicating OFW transfer to Linux) to Sugar
"prompt for your name".   Without it, 53 seconds.  I repeated the test
several times with consistent results.

Clearly, it should be possible to display that amount of information in
much less than 7 seconds.

The boot animation code is in the OLPC domain, not the upstream domain,
so replacing it should be relatively free of upstream politics.

So if anybody is interested in implementing a relatively simple
boot-time speedup, I offer this as low-hanging fruit.

I suggest 1 second (differential time between animation and no-animation
cases) as a reasonable target goal, assuming images of the complexity of
the current ones.  Arbitrary full-screen graphics might require more
time, but speeding up the baseline case is a good starting point.

Go wild.