XFT emacs rocks on the XO...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:59:22 EST 2009

Stock F9 emacs isn't very usable on the XO screen, unfortunately. Lack
of fonts and high dpi make it rather painful. After struggling a bit
to get a comfy hacking/editing environment on my XOs, I ended up
installing the precooked Xft-enabled emacs rpms, as per:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emacs

and after setting a nice readable font... I'm very happy with the setup.

Also, the XO ships with a very limited vim. yum install vim-enhanced
has improved my part-time vim usage.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions