Please update etoys in 8.2.1

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Thu Feb 5 22:48:02 EST 2009

David -

The "9.1" release was a very specific release planned for the first
half of 2009 - see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0 for one set of
details - following OLPC's stated plan of two major releases per
calendar year.  That specific event is not going to happen.  That's
not at all the same thing as saying "OLPC will never do another
software release again".  OLPC will not undertake, on its own, another
major release of the software package we currently ship with each XO.
Several things are happening, however:

1. An 8.2.1 release is nearing completion, and I expect OLPC will
continue to produce minor feature-driven point releases (8.2.2, 8.2.3)
as needed to support our deployments.  This is in contrast to our
previous plan of schedule-driven major releases twice a year (of which
9.1 would be the next).

2. Several people are working actively with the Fedora community to
ensure that Fedora 11 works as well as possible on the XO.  Sugar will
be an available desktop environment on F11 as it is in F10.  Some
users and/or deployments may choose to use F11 on their machines
instead of 8.2.1,

3. Other distributions (DebXO, Ubuntu, etc.) in various shapes and
sizes are available for the XO, and I haven't heard any sign that
those activities will end.  I hope these will continue to offer
additional alternative solutions for XO users; one size does not fit
all.

The specific discussion about etoys is that originally 8.2.1 was
planned as a more limited bug-fix release, with a major release coming
shortly afterwards, so it made sense for major etoys updates to wait
for the 9.1 release.  Since the contemplated 9.1 release will not
happen, and since some of the original customer-driven schedule
pressure for 8.2.1 has gone away, it seems to now make sense to
include the planned etoys update in 8.2.1 instead in order to make the
update available to as many of our users as possible as quickly as
possible.

	- Ed