8.2.1 Thoughts

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Feb 5 19:03:08 EST 2009

Hi James,

   > Briefly, how is this done?  Where can I get the current kernel source as
   > a bisectable repository

(git clone git://dev.laptop.org/olpc-2.6 && cd olpc-2.6 &&
 git checkout -b testing origin/testing)

   > and is it as simple as reverting a patch, make, scp the kernel to a
   > unit, then reboot and attempt to reproduce?

Yes -- in fact, you could just scp the libertas.ko/usb8xxx.ko modules
over, after "make modules M=drivers/net/wireless/libertas".

The changes we're interested in occurred between the 767 tag, which is
commit f10b654367d7065d50e7d5e3649933453cea3102, and HEAD.

This commit¹ is known to break WPA until this fix², so I'd recommend
testing either neither or both of these commits.

The first useful test is "does the 767 version of the wireless driver
work with WPA with the new firmware", since that'll suggest to us
whether we have a bad driver or bad firmware.

Thanks very much!

- Chris.

¹:  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=olpc-2.6;a=commit;h=b0a7455f0b
²:  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=olpc-2.6;a=commit;h=a3e1b6fe88