Treatise on Formatting FLASH Storage Devices

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed Feb 4 16:20:37 EST 2009

>> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device
>> >
>> > Read it and weep.
>>

> It's a great article, but people that aren't very familiar with
> filesystems and the filesystem tools are going to read the article, look
> at their tools, scratch their heads, decide the whole thing is too hard,
> and go on making the same mistakes. It would be useful if actual command
> arguments could be given for various sane defaults.

Indeed, I'd like to do that as time permits.  It's sort of an open-ended
proposition though, because there are so many possibilities.  Deciding
where to draw the line is tricky.  And for each example, to do it right,
I'll have to write a mini-treatise on the pertinent assumptions and
limitations.

For me, the hard thing about writing is finding an appropriate stopping
point - i.e. there is always more that could be said.  So I tend to
avoid starting, because I know that the task will grow to fill all
available time and then some.

For starters, I wanted to lay out the issues and the theory, so at least
people start to realize that there is a possible problem.  From what
I've seen, most people are currently totally unaware of it.

At least I did give one concrete recommendation - avoid reformatting if
you can.