Please update etoys in 8.2.1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 4 11:43:02 EST 2009

Dear Release Manager,

as we discussed on IRC today (and which I had not realized until
today) the 8.2.1 release will be pre-installed on XOs for much longer
than anticipated, since the 9.1 release has been canceled, and no
replacement is in sight.

We have had fixed Etoys / Squeak-VM packages ready for many months
now, they just did not make it into 8.2 by a few days, and 8.2.1 was
scheduled to be only a major-bugs fixing release, so we were holding
out for 9.1. Since that is not going to happen we would very much
appreciate if the updated RPMs would get included in 8.2.1.

The most severe bugs that are fixed there are #8351 (Composite
characters not displayed correctly), #8608 (Mic LED stays on after
quitting Etoys), #8700 (View-source key broken) and #8536 (Page up /
page down / home / end not working). More bugs have been fixed since,
but no features added. We did update the major version number (4.0
now) in the mean time because the latest release is now completely
license clean, but from a user's point of view the features are
identical to the 3.0 series.

The latest release is in Joyride:

	etoys-4.0.2205-2.noarch.rpm
	squeak-vm-3.10-3olpc11.i386.rpm

Please consider these to replace the ones in 8.2.

Thanks,

- Bert, for the Etoys team -