Treatise on Formatting FLASH Storage Devices

pgf at pgf at
Wed Feb 4 08:42:07 EST 2009

david at wrote:
 > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Mitch Bradley wrote:
 > >

 > > Read it and weep.
 > this completely ignores wear leveling, which is very nessasary for just
 > about any filesystem, but especially for FAT (which appear to be the only
 > filesystems this author is familiar with)
 > all in all this doesn't seem like a very useful page.

since i'm 99% sure that mitch wrote that page, let me be the
first to disagree.  :-)

i believe that everything he's said is completely spot on.  i
confess i wasn't conscious of the partition vs. erase block
alignment issue until a couple of months ago when i first heard
mitch mention it, but i'm absolutely sure the effect is real.

 paul fox, pgf at