keyboard handling (was Re: OLPC where to go development advice.)

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 18:47:45 EST 2009

s wrote:
 > <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Enabling_XO_features_on_other_distributions>
 > <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_shortcuts>
 > and several other pages, but mysteries remain.
 >
 > pgf at laptop.org usefully responded:
 >
 > >> I have zero clue where to find the keymapping
 > >> file or configuration utility.
 > >
 > > i just booted ubuntu to see how they do it -- turns out it's easy.
 > > they use a program called "xbindkeys" to bind all of the "special" XO
 > > keys.  the configuration for that is in /home/olpc/.xbindkeysrc -- you'll
 > > see an entry in there that invokes /usr/bin/rotate_screen.py.
 >
 > I added this to
 > <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Enabling_XO_features_on_other_distributions>
 > Folks, this is the page where distros note their tweaks for the benefit
 > of humanity.
 >
 > I think Sugar doesn't use that technique.  ...

but i've been wondering if perhaps it should.

given that sugar is now multi-platform, does it make sense for
sugar itself to be managing the special XO keyboard keys?  seems like
pulling that support out would let it be reused by non-sugar
distros more readily.

what happens when you press F9 through F12 when running SoaS?
(i think those are the volume and brightness keys on the XO.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org