Is it possible to disable "sharing" for an Activity?

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 18:41:54 EST 2009

I think that the addition of a new property in the activity.info file
would be logical here.  Make it an integer indicating the maximum
number of supported participants.  "Unshared" activities would report
'1', activities like video chat (with technical limitations) or chess
(with obvious player limits) might specify 2, and others could specify
another cap based on resource requirements and/or a constant to
indicate an unbounded number.

That number could be used both to show/hide the sharing controls (in
the activity or elsewhere) for that activity, and also help keep the
participants list at a manageable size for the given activity.
Limitations are natural, and activity specific; it's not reasonable to
expect all collaborative activities to scale in the same way.

Scott (CC'd) has already come up with some really nice proposals for
adding VNC as an alternate colaboration mechanism for all activities.
In my mind, this would work perfectly with the above scheme, whereby
any activity that already has max_participants in it could be viewed
in that manner.  Scott, could you point to any materials you've
already written up on the matter?  Would you have time and/or desire
to assist others who are interested in taking on such a feature?  I'd
love to see this happen, myself, and have given some preliminary
thought to the UI already.

- Eben