OLPC upgrades

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:18:04 EST 2009

2009/2/2 Tiago Marques <tiagomnm at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> Guess what? The people at OLPC, who aren't stupid, already considered
>> every point in the message cited below, a long time ago. So why aren't
>> we doing them? ...* *On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Carlos Nazareno
>> <object404 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> Nobody's saying anyone is stupid. It is perfectly natural for people to
> complain about things they don't understand. I also wish I could, from time
> to time, to ask this or that, to understand many things I don't comprehend,
> to know what I can do to help. This without getting into any kind of fight
> with the people involved with the project, who are the only ones who can
> answer those questions.
> As with any critical comment I may issue in this mailing list,* please
> take it as something constructive*, to help (if it does, in any way) and
> not to criticize the people who are hard at work. That, I think, is what
> Carlos was trying to do.
> I got my XO three weeks ago and there's a lot I was surprised to learn that
> some of the more important features are WIP or simply don't work, especially
> given the news that I've read, already detailing prototypes of a second
> version, when there's still a lot to do with the first one.

Hey Tiago,

I've been following the project for about 2 years now and the software
problems you cite (OOM crashing, flaky wireless,  battery life, sluggish UI)
are pretty much the same ones that existed back when I got involved!  The
lack of momentum on the software front has been pretty amazing given how
much the project started with.

That said, things seem to be picking up speed as more control over the
software is handed to the community.  I finally feel like there's maybe a
chance to see some of this stuff get resolved.

Here's hoping SL's XOOS or SoaS, or else some deployment's distribution will
take better advantage of the excellent hardware that is the XO-1.  I'd
really like to see someone try to build a tiny LFS based XO specific distro
which runs Sugar, and boots in <30sec :)  I've got my personal XO booting in
around 45sec just by hacking around in the initscripts, and I'm sure a lot
better could be done.

Best,
-Wade