[Sugar-devel] Service announcement scheme - (Re: A small request.)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 08:58:16 EST 2009

Morgan Collett wrote:
> Also don't blame avahi for the fact that we send out updates every
> time you alt-tab between shared activities, so that your icon can jump
> to the appropriate snowflake on everyone else's Neighborhood Views...
> as well as sending who joined and left...

Mature GUIs have a common pattern to avoid too much graphical
flickering on possibly rapid state transitions, such as setting a busy
pointer or disabling buttons while some operation is in progress.

I don't know if it has a name, but the algorithm is exactly the same
for de-bouncing mechanical keys: you propagate the event only after
the state has settled for a certain amount of time.

This would take away a certain percentage of spurious updates, but the
number basically remains proportional to the number of users so it
doesn't scale much better.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/