Android, OLPC, and native hosting

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Mon Dec 28 17:06:15 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 19:38 +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> emacs is what I am using on both XO-1 and XO-1.5 so pretty good going
> ;-) (Along with vim! Peace!)
>
> Lots of people here want to claim we need Eclipse to have an "IDE". Of
> all the developers involved in the whole Linux
> kernel+Fedora+Sugar+OLPC custom bits, the incidence of Eclipse usage
> is  vanishingly small.

I have tried to do the bulk of my development actually on an XO (well
until I got retina problems anyway, the screen gives me a bit of trouble
now).

It may not be up to running behemoths like Eclipse, but I've considered
that to be Eclipse's problem more than the XO's.

I do Pascal development mainly, Which suits the XO nicely for compile
times and execution speed.  On the XO I use MSEIDE which does a
reasonably good.

See here for a demo of the IDE and easy project creation,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMtleAzJ3AE

That clip makes a new Window and buttons style program, and a new
animated game style program.

That clip was not actually running on the XO, I run it on my Ubuntu box
for screen capture purposes.   To see the same system running on my XO
(recorded with a crappy camera), watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD95e9G1SiQ

I did a Ludum Dare 48 hour game competition on the XO, Doing all
programming on the XO itself
screenshot -->
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/wp-content/compo2/6952/20-shot0.jpg

So a good level of development is possible on the system,  I'm ok if the
operating system itself gets built on a more powerful system, but I'd
really prefer most applications that specifically target the XO be
developed on the XO hardware.  This I'd consider especially true for
sugar apps.  They should be developed in sugar, on an XO wherever
possible.