Android, OLPC, and native hosting

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sun Dec 27 17:52:05 EST 2009

> Does Android not host its development tools because it doesn't run the
> X Window System?  Since X already runs on most of the hardware that
> Android does, that wouldn't be too hard to remedy -- and would benefit
> the whole Android community.

Actually, no. The .class -> .dex compiler consumes an enormous amount of
memory, so it is out of the question at least for now. However what I do
not get is why would it be good for an education project if it would be
self hosting at all? As I see an education project's main goal is to
support creating quality educational resources (like curricula) cheaply,
is not it?