XO-3 official

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:32:06 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/22/tablet-computer-negroponte-technology-cio-network-olpc.html
>
> "It aims to make its tablet PC highly durable, all plastic, waterproof,
> half the thickness of an iPhone and use less than a watt of power, despite
> an 8-gigaherz processor. The price: an unprecedented $75."
>
> Well, that's cool.
>
> Deciphering OLPC press releases sometimes feels like I'm playing chess
> with Picasso, and he keeps breaking the rules, and I can't tell whether
> this is some kind of art or he's just cheating.

I would take it all with a large dose of salt. They are design
drawings. To use a quote from Nicholas Negroponte that Engadget list
in their article [1] "Sure, if I were a commercial entity coming to
you for investment, and I'd made the projections I had in the past,
you wouldn't invest again, but we're not a commercial operation. If we
only achieve half of what we're setting out to do, it could have very
big consequences." so they are concept and could all go the way of the
XO-2 between now and 2012. They look cool none the less and with the
supposed launch of a tablet in Jan with a Pixel Qi screen may not be
that far away.

Peter

[1] http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/22/olpc-shows-off-absurdly-thin-xo-3-concept-tablet-for-2012/