[Server-devel] XO 1.5 to XS-onXO1 behavior

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 05:01:12 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 2:41 AM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> The least common denominator in the XO-1 and XO-2 clients is a
> connection to an access point.  So making the XS (on any hardware)
> provide a standard 802.11 access point would probably be the easiest
> path forward.

That's right. But Sameer is asking about XO-1 hardware running the
"XS" OS. When that happens, we don't require any extra hw, we just use
the Libertas device as a mesh gateway.

If you read back on this thread, you'll see discussion of hostap
drivers too, to make it run as an AP.

> As I recall there was some step in the XO-specific school
> "provisioning" (antitheft DRM?) that only works over the mesh.

Correct. Fixed in the 8.2.2 betas I've been publishing and on the F11
images too.

As for the 1.5 running as an XS -- it is squarely on my list. I am
talking with the Libertas team on the availability of a
thinmac/thinfirm driver+firmware combo that works with hostap. Once
that is available, the XO-1.5 can run its wifi as an AP.

If you don't want to wait, you can always use a USB-Wifi that is known
to work with hostap drivers under linux. Or a USB-ethernet + a
conventional AP.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions