1.5 - gnome-packagekit?

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 10 18:36:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:13:33PM -0500, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
> In the sugar environment we have the great resource of activities.sugarlabs.org
>   that children can browse through to add new activities. However, on
> the Gnome side of things we only have the yum terminal commands. While
> I realize children can add, remove, and install programs using such
> commands, it is a bit problematic when you don't know the name of what
> you are searching for or the actual name of the package you want to
> install or remove.
>
> -Should we include gnome-packagekit to provide such functionality?
> -Or would including it increase the complexities of managing
> deployments?
>
> Since .XO and .XOL bundles were specifically designed to be "safe" for
> installation and removal, I'm concerned the inclusion of gnome-
> packagekit would allow one to more easily break their installation but
> I also think it would be nice for children to explore the rest of what
> Fedora has to provide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Reuben

See another attempt, 0install[1]. I implemented initial code for PackageKit
integration to 0install, so via 0install user can install native
packages(could be useful if your 0install package has dependency like
Qt, which could be useful to install from native packages).

Having 0install integration to sugar, we have complex approach - let
user install: 1) from native packages; 2) 0install packages if software
wasn't well packaged; 3) install/build-in-place activity specific
binaries(some python activities have C modules).

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Zero_Install_integration
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20091204020657.GA25203%40antilopa-gnu

--
Aleksey