runin runs X before it has been configured

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Dec 10 17:52:14 EST 2009

On 12/10/2009 11:41 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I just tried to do a factory-simulation of your runin code. It failed
> because during boot when it launched X, the screen went a funny and then
> everything froze.

The last 24 hours I've added a lot of changes. Don't bother with a test
of anything other than the /etc/init.d/00-olcp-runin  Thats all I need
to start.  The rest comes from the mfg server.

> I think this is because your script is launching X before X has been
> configured. Ordinarily, X is configured by the olpc-configure init
> script (which also mounts /boot).

Whats to configure?  I only need X to run so I can route data from the
camera to screen.  No user input is necessary.  Do I need X configured
for that?

It seems to work fine for me here.

> Maybe we should consider moving the runin tests to run after
> olpc-configure.

Doesn't that change the filesystem?  So my startup fscheck will fail?

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child