1.5 - gnome-packagekit?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:45:13 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:17 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> Good thing we reinvented the wheel here.  RPM packaging was too
> complete and flexible for kids or teachers (or school administrators).

I had the same gripe, and then talked&emailed with Seth Vidal and RPM devs.

The answer is that olpc-update does what it does really well, and
yum+rpm cannot replace it for us. Daniel proposed such replacement a
few months ago, and I explained what rpm+yum needed to improve to make
that a reasonable thing. Do search the archives.

If the yum/rpm + btrfs snapshotting approach works (proposal by cjb,
on fedora-devel list, do search the archive please) then it becomes
viable. As you can see, we are not sitting on our hands.

Without rpm or yum integration with a snapshotting FS, it'd mean a
huge effort. Again, see earlier emails in the archive.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions