Alternative to Create a new wireless network

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Dec 8 11:31:06 EST 2009

Hi Reuben, Daniel,

On 8 Dec 2009, at 09:59, Daniel Drake wrote:

> 2009/12/8 Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org>:
>> -Create three faux "Mesh Channel #" icons in the Network view
>> -When the child wants to join a mesh network they will select one of the
>> networks
>> -Upon selection: the XO will: 1. Scan to see if that ad-hoc network already
>> exists and 2. if it does not exist the XO will create the network allowing
>> other children to join it.

Thanks for pushing on this again, +1 from me. I've been really worried about such a large change in existing workflows, especially with it as such a central feature.

> Joining an ad-hoc network is the same process as creating one, so this
> is even easier than you think.
>
>> The one pitfall of this idea, and I'm not sure how much of an issue this
>> would be, is also the pitfall of ad-hoc networks...when the initiator of the
>> ad-hoc network leaves the network fails.
>
> This isn't true - the network keeps on running.
>
> It's a good idea and is doable, although not for friday. You should
> put it in trac (and the SL one too).
>
> The only thing to keep in mind is that ad-hoc networks are going to be
> (by design) even less reliable than the mesh. So we need to be careful
> which usage scenarios we push it for.

Daniel: So this would nicely work around the issues you had in the thread about setting up automatic joining of ad-hoc networks to simulate current mesh like work flow. One of the three faux "Mesh Channel #" icons would need to be clicked in a conscious decision to join a network, so it would only feel like the automatic network join feature had been dropped.

Regards,
--Gary