Alternative to Create a new wireless network

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Dec 8 04:59:29 EST 2009

2009/12/8 Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org>:
> -Create three faux "Mesh Channel #" icons in the Network view
> -When the child wants to join a mesh network they will select one of the
> networks
> -Upon selection: the XO will: 1. Scan to see if that ad-hoc network already
> exists and 2. if it does not exist the XO will create the network allowing
> other children to join it.

Joining an ad-hoc network is the same process as creating one, so this
is even easier than you think.

> The one pitfall of this idea, and I'm not sure how much of an issue this
> would be, is also the pitfall of ad-hoc networks...when the initiator of the
> ad-hoc network leaves the network fails.

This isn't true - the network keeps on running.

It's a good idea and is doable, although not for friday. You should
put it in trac (and the SL one too).

The only thing to keep in mind is that ad-hoc networks are going to be
(by design) even less reliable than the mesh. So we need to be careful
which usage scenarios we push it for.

Daniel