Swap to SD cards: performance and burnout test

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Tue Dec 8 04:18:17 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 01:41:13PM +1300, Neil Graham wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 19:16 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 03:41:10PM -0200, Emiliano Pastorino wrote:
>>> Does anyone come out with a possible test?
>> Compilation in general (e.g. Linux kernel or sugar-jhbuild) seems to
>> be quite stressful to SD cards and often consumes a lot of memory, so
>> might be a good benchmark.

> I don't think it's terribly useful to test memory consuming
> non-interactive tasks.
The problem is that the only way to get _comparable_, _repeatable_
numbers is to make the test non-interactive.

> The easiest way to test swap performance on working data and a user
> interface I would guess would be to run Firefox up to 300 meg.
So another option would be to run a script using hulahop (i.e. using the
same engine as Browse, but without display output) with static copies of
the web pages that are causing Browse to consume lots of memory.

What's most important to the user is probably going to be the latency
(pointer "sluggishness", UI reaction time), though, and I don't have an
idea how to test that (still keeping in mind that it needs to be
comparable and repeatable).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/