Swap to SD cards: performance and burnout test

Emiliano Pastorino epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Mon Dec 7 12:41:10 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

We're testing how much performance you gain by swapping to an sd card.

The first thing we need to do is to compare the performance between a
regular XO 1.0 (no swapping) and one which swaps to an SD card.
The other thing is to measure how long an SD lasts if used that way.

So long, we've only compared two XO by running some activities, but we need
some numeric results, or something measurable.

Does anyone come out with a possible test?

Also, we need to write and erase data as fast as possible to measure the
lifetime of the SD card.
Is there any tool or a way to write random data to the swap space?

We're using a 4GB C6 SD card, assigning 512 Mb for swap.

--
Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
LATU - Plan Ceibal