8.2.2 Beta-1 test request

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:09:26 EST 2009

Hi,

I did some XO1.0 testing with 802 B1 yesterday and today. First I:
 - updated firmware to q2e41 (latest)
 - updated to 802 b1 from USB:
     - probe-usb copy-nand u:\xo1.0\os802b1.img

Testing notes and observations inline

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note! We are also testing the XO-1.5 builds, and hoping to make a
> release Real Soon Now. If you have XO-1.5 hardware, help us test the
> 1.5 builds. On the other hand, if you have XO-1s to test, I need help
> with...
>
> The build is '802B1' -- find it at:
>
>    http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/
>
> Filing bugs -- the bugs related to this release are tagged with
> milestone '8.2.2'. Please set that milestone in any new bug you file,
> or add your notes to the existing bugs:
> http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&order=status&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=8.2.2
>
> What's new?
>
> =Touchpad=
>
> The build has a rebuilt kernel with new touchpad drivers, and some
> configuration tweaks. This is for both old 'ALPS' touchpads and new
> 'Synaptics' touchpads. (Do mention which one you have!)
>
> With these changes, the touchpads should move a little bit slower,
> have a bit more precision, and be a lot less 'jumpy'. In fact, when
> they data gets jumpy, the driver ignores the data instead of jumping
> wildly.
>
> Is the kangaroo mode gone? Is it more usable now? Are other effects
> creeping in?

I have ALPS touchpad.

The mouse movement is perhaps a bit less jumpy then in old 802, but
overall not very useable. There are times when it's ok (just slower
then on the default 802 version), but there are times when it stops
almost completely to respond to moving finger. Sometimes it has to be
nudged 10 times to move the width or height of the screen. I cannot
really tell why it is ok and why it starts behave like that. It comes
and goes. Several times it moved slowly by itself. In a way it appears
better when I do a continuos line draw (like when drawing spirals),
but when using it in an application (does not seem to matter which
app), and move the mouse quite a bit, it starts exhibit the "no
respond" behavior.

> Comparison test drawing spirals:
>
>  - Grab 2 XOs with the same touchpad type, load the old stable 802 on
> one, and my test build (802B1) on the other. If you only have one XO,
> try one OS after the other...
>
>  - Open Paint and draw spirals
>
>    1) try to keep it reasonably tight
>    2) stop if you collide or get sloppy
>    3) count the number of cycles
>    4) try again N times
>    5) use the average cycles as a measure

well, I only have one XO 1 and did not go back to old 802. With 802b1,
I typically managed to do about 5 spiral cycles before it drew into
the previous line. But after changing brush size I got a completely
unpredictable behavior (non-responding or jumpy)

I can also tell that the right part of the pad is much less sensitive
(going up and down on the right does not move the mouse), this seems a
hardware issue i wonder what others see.
Overall I think the old 802 cursor behaved a bit better, but I really
need to go back to it and try again. It is hard to compare without
having them side by side.

> Related
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9775
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9773
>

> = Kernel =
>
> The kernel rebuild may have caused other issues. Any problems with
> suspend/resume, wireless, freezes, I want to hear about them.

This seems to work with no problems:
Tried:

closed lid
10sec wait , several minute wait, about 15 minute wait
opened lid
moved mouse
activity came back.

closed lid several times in quick order
activity came back when opened and mouse moved.

> = Wireless: Associating to Access Points and debugging =
>
> Fixed a bug where NetworkManager would -- in a % of connections -- not
> realise that the process had succeeded. Side by side, 802B1 should
> connect successfully to an AP more often.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8104
>
> And now if you `touch /etc/NetworkManager/log-supplicant` and restart.
> That same file is used as the logfile by wpa_supplicant.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9715
>
> = Startup / shutdown =
>
> Two bugs related to the shutdown process have been fixed. Rebooting
> side-by-side, you should see 802B1 shutdown much faster, and never
> hang in the switch to the "ul-warning" screen.
>
> If it ever hangs in the shutdown process, let me know...
>
> = Talk to the XS =
>
> Sugar now connects to gabble immediately after registration, no need
> for a reboot - If you have an XS handy (hint: get the XS-on-XO image
> on an SD card!), you can confirm this enhancement.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9726 -
>
> You can run 'olpc-connections' in a terminal to see it switch from one
> to the other right away.
>
> = OS version =
>
> The Sugar Control Panel should report the right version in 'About my
> XO'.

reports :
Build 802B1
Sugar 0.82.1
Firmware Q2E41

> And the 'Update' control panel must check for new activities by
> hitting a url ending in /8.2.2 (you might need a packet capture for
> that, or point it to a server you manage, just to see the 404s...).

Without Packet Capture - it appears to do that (at least for Etoys, it stays
on the default version because there is no http://etoys.laptop.org/xo/8.2.2/

> = Update your Activities? =
>
> The "you must update your activities" dialog on first boot is gone! It
> will only appear after a major upgrade (not a minor one).
>
> To test this, you can: install an older release (756 for example) and
> then use olpc-update --usb to upgrade to 802B1.
>
> = Do the activities work? =
>
> Try out the activities included. Did I break the OS so that any
> activities are failing?

After install, I updated activities from comtrol panel. Activities
updated (not a full list)
Distance 14->17
Measure 24->27
no Etoys in update list
no Browse in update list
Turtle Art 10->70

cat /etc/olpc-release
8.2.2
just as a test, i modified the file to contain 11.0.0 (which is same as in
the XO1.5 images.

After that. I updated activities from control panel again. Activities
updated:
Etoys 94->113
Measure 27-29
Turtle Art 70-79
But, when I ran Etoys, it clearly stayed on the previous version. I guess
just messaign with the olpc-release is not enough.

This is probably not relevant, but I have a question, why would not the
version point by default to activities versioned 11.0.0?

That is all so far...

milan