VT_WAITACTIVE (was: Re: ffreep support on Geode LX (XO-1))

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Thu Dec 3 10:13:24 EST 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 04:21:35PM -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:

>> i think you're exactly right -- the fact that ul-warning completes
>> when you manually switch screens is pretty convincing.  i'm
>> amazed the vt system has never grown a new api of some sort to
>> fix this problem.  because powerd puts up an additional shutdown
>> splash screen prior to the ul-warning screen, the sequencing is
>> perturbed, and i see it (the race) more often.
>> i think we should apply the bandaid of a retry to the chvt code --
>> i.e., add a timeout to the wait, and retry (or, at the very
>> least, exit) if it expires.  i actually went in to make the code
>> changes the other day, but i backed off when i realized the
>> source was in pyrex, not C.  i realized i wasn't sure i'd be able
>> to do the signal handling successfully (in the time i'd allotted
>> myself, at any rate).
> I encountered this bug while working on another product, and came up
> with a solution that isn't quite so complex.  It involves not using
> VT_WAITACTIVE and instead just polling the v_active member of the
> VT_GETSTATE result in a loop, retrying the VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
> Site seems down at the moment but here it is from google's cache:
> AFAIK the patch was never accepted upstream (due to it being very
> inactive or dead) but I definitely submitted it.
> This is something that we could perhaps roll into bobby's work on
> bootanim/ul-warning, assuming it is affected in the first place...
[Fullquote to refresh everyones memory because it's a rather old mail
I'm replying to]

There's been some work in 2.6.32 on some shiny new interface that is
supposed not to have the VT_WAITACTIVE bugs: [1]
Maybe ul-warning can switch to that once the olpc tree has been rebased
on top of 2.6.32... (or maybe not; haven't taken any look at it)

CU Sascha