Wanted: List of Sugar activities for the XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:39:36 EST 2009

Hi Ed,

note that the l10n packs for OO are *massive*. I think it is because
they include large dictionaries & thesaurii, template files, localised
iconsets... etc.

There is probably room for trimming them down, and perhaps even
hardlinking identical images after installation. Hard to know what'll
be dropped on the floor if we cut aggressively, and how much it'll
reduce the footprint.

Just as an example of a langpack (one that I could grab easily from
the 'net) -- the Spanish langpack for OOo in Debian claims to take 7MB
installed. Have a look at the 'installed size' table at the bottom of
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/openoffice.org-l10n-es and see the
'list of files' link to get an idea of what's in there.

If we find major inefficiencies, long term we might be able to work
with upstream to make them leaner. Short term, it's not pretty...