Wanted: List of Sugar activities for the XO-1.5

Reuben K. Caron reuben at laptop.org
Wed Dec 2 13:50:15 EST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [Added ericb to CC; Eric, we're talking about which applications to
> include by default on our OLPC XO-1.5 software release.]
>
>> How about suggestions for programs on the Gnome side?
>
> That's a good idea, thanks.
>
> I haven't decided what to do about OpenOffice yet -- at the moment we
> don't ship it, but do ship abiword and gnumeric.  The options for it
> look something like:
>
> * just add the openoffice.org Fedora packages for GNOME.
>  (How much disk space would that use?)

To provide the somewhat equivalent programs in full version OOo in
comparison  to OOo4kids:

openoffice.org-writer
openoffice.org-calc
openoffice.org-draw
openoffice.org-impress

a yum install takes up ~300 MB, though I believe some of that is the
actual download.

> * just add the Ooo4Kids activity for Sugar.
>
> * just add the Ooo4Kids activity for Sugar, *and* find a way to make
>  the same activity launchable inside GNOME.  This would need Ooo4Kids
>  to be useful for older kids as well, since they're the target
>  audience for using GNOME instead of Sugar.
>
> The OOo4Kids activity is here:
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4241  (100MB)

Claudia and I have been working with OOo4kids for the past few days
and I really like it in both Sugar and Gnome and on my own Mac. (It
can be launched in Gnome through /home/olpc/Activities/
OOo4Kids.activity/resources/program/soffice) It has very nice icon
driven interface and has much of the functionality I would expect in
typical office applications.

I like the idea of have a single application that is usuable in both
environments to reduce the overall footprint. Could we have it linked
into the Gnome Menu?

The one question I have is in regards to localization. Can we have one
bundle that supports localization, i.e. changes default language
according sugar/OFW values, or would we need different bundles?

Thanks,

Reuben