SarynPaint: a Java program packaged for the OLPC

Ben Wiley Sittler bsittler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:46:41 EDT 2009

I think maintaining two parallel versions of the code in two languages
would be a huge waste of effort for me, but if someone else wants to
they are of course welcome to.

I have neither time nor inclination to port it merely to work around
the historical accident of Java not having been Open Source at the
time Sugar was initially developed. Also, I think the UI of this
program is actually more friendly to very young children by *not*
being more Sugarized — there's no confusing Frame when they
(inevitably) move the pointer to the edges of the screen, and since it
doesn't (yet) have save support or text input there's really no reason
for a toolbar or Journal integration. Mind you, minimal save/resume
support might be nice to have on all platforms someday.