NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at
Fri Aug 21 14:16:09 EDT 2009

Please join us Right Now reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat:  (2PM EDT Boston Time Friday)

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring?!

* Fast Review of the 3 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

1. OOo4Kids project (Open Office) - France

   Requests 2 XO's over 5 months

   Project Objectives:
   Our objectives are, in a first time make Ooo4Kids work well on the XO,
   then discover Sugar in order to sugarize Ooo4Kids. After this, we will
   work on some optimisations with some other goals: make two improvements
   of performances for Ooo4Kids on sugar and two new features on the user
   interface (one per student).

2. UCSB's Cross-cultural learning activities - California

   Requests 10 XO's over 24 months

   Project Objectives:

   1. We aim to create XO-based activities to integrate into the
   California 3rd-grade curriculum (particularly, science, math and
   language arts). The goal is to make the XO a continuous learning
   resource for use throughout the mid-elementary school curriculum (as
   opposed to the use of computers in a specific, time-restricted,
   computer lab period).

   2. We aim to use the XOs to establish and nurture an international
   peer-exchange program between a California elementary school and an
   African elementary school. The goal is to create awareness of the
   children’s commonalities and differences, for example, in family
   structure, school environment and curriculum, resources, recreational
   interests and future aspirations.

3. New repair center in Innsbruck - Austria

   Requests 10 XO's (broken OK) over 10 months

   Project Objectives:
   Repair XOs by the rules set up in

   The user will communicate to my new Austrian phonenumber which will
   follow soon and to emailaddress: AlpXO at

   Turnaround expectations:
   I plan to be as fast as possible. The repairing part shouldn't be much
   of a problem because I am experienced with computers (SW and HW). As for
   the delivery I have no experience but hope to overcome that knowledge
   really soon.

   As a first step will start locally (eastern part of Austria) and if that
   works I will take care of the region in which the Munich and Bolzano
   libraries are situated.