Faster Multicast [was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity]

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Wed Aug 12 12:54:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at> wrote:
> I don't know how to test this, but I think there's a chance it could be a
> big win.  Of course, in situations where the mDNS presence information
> itself is overloading the network, there's not much we can do.

Get your hands on -- and let's make sure everyone
understands that in wireless networks

   what really matters is _airtime_. Multicast frames are sent in the slowest
   modulation available, and it consumes a ton of airtime. It doesn't take
   much to swamp the RF.

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- School Server Architect