DNS

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Sat Aug 8 23:05:47 EDT 2009

Hello

I have a need to use an XO with a USB-Ethernet adapter and an Internet
connection with no DHCP that requires me to set the network up on the XO.

I can easily do the IP and netmask with

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 [IP] netwmask [mask]

and the gateway with

/sbin/route add default gw [GW-IP]

Can anyone tell me the best way to set up the DNS?  I tried the following in
rc.local which results in me being able to ping hosts on the Internet but
DNS is not working, have I made a mistake?:

addNameServer ()

 {

ip="$1"

file="/etc/resolv.conf"

result=`cat "${file}" | grep -c "${ip}"`

if [ ${result} -eq 0 ]

then

echo "nameserver ${ip}" >> "${file}"

fi

}

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 [Static IP] netmask [mask] up

/sbin/route add default gw [Gateway IP]

addNameServer "[DNS IP 1]"

addNameServer "[DNS IP 2]"

David