Disk layout for XO-1.5

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Aug 6 21:52:59 EDT 2009

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>> I would urge...
>> ...you are preaching to the ultra-converted, to the frustrated. I
>> wasn't personally involved, but I know at least Wad & Mitch looked
>> quite deep into this, and found no good offers. There is good evidence
>> to trust them in hardware and low level firmware matters :-)
>
> Indeed; I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  If they have written off the
> possibility of open disk controller firmware, I am sure they have made the
> right decision.

We asked the UBFS devs if there were any devices they knew of that
allowed raw access to the nand or otherwise tweaking of the FTL.  None
that they knew of.  Neither Phison or SMI (The mfgs we were looking at)
have open firmware for their FTL chips.

In the end we chose to use microSDHC cards.  The B1/B2 build will have 3
different mfg's of cards for qualification tests.  Random power failures
are part of the qualification tests.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child