Disk layout for XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:17:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> The XO-1.5 will not be using raw NAND, nor will it be running jffs2.

ext3 is quite unclean-shutdown tolerant in my experience -

> There will be a microcontroller (running uneditable proprietary firmware)
> emulating a block device.  Firmware of this type is sometimes done well,
> and sometimes done poorly, as regards atomicity.

That is an excellent point..

> I would urge...

...you are preaching to the ultra-converted, to the frustrated. I
wasn't personally involved, but I know at least Wad & Mitch looked
quite deep into this, and found no good offers. There is good evidence
to trust them in hardware and low level firmware matters :-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions